A Family Tradition Since 1912
© Schmit Bros. Automotive
Dealership news & information
Port Washington’s Fire House of 1929
SCHMIT BROS. NEWS
Check out past stories on our archive page!
In this edition of Discover Ozaukee County we are taking a look at Port Washington’s historic 1929 Fire House.  Jump into your car from Schmit Bros. and check out this historic building! Located at 102 East Pier Street, it was designed by Architect John Topzant from Milwaukee.  It was constructed in 1929 with an addition built in 1938. Port Washington's Mediterranean Revival Style Fire Engine House was built in 1929 on the site as the city’s previous fire house, a wooden multi-purpose building that had been built in 1884.  Architect John Topzant of Milwaukee designed the new building; he gave it tan brick walls, a Spanish tile roof, and copper gutters and downspouts.  A particularly outstanding feature of the building is the bell tower-like hose drying tower. When it was first built, the first story of the engine house housed a garage for fire engines, a meeting room for the firemen, a kitchen, bath and shower rooms, along with storage space.  The basement story contained additional garage space and a repair room.  Between 1929 and 1938, a matching addition was attached to the rear of the building that provided space for a first story office and a larger rear stairway. This building served as a Fire House until 1975 when a larger replacement Fire House was built just across Wisconsin Street.  Subsequently, the 1929 engine house was converted into a center for Port Washington's senior citizens.  Despite the change in use, the engine house is in largely original condition and most of the changes made to the exterior have been confined to alterations of the original garage door openings. The building has been recognized as a Historical Landmark.  In 2010 a plaque was erected by the Port Washington Fire Dept and the Wisconsin Historical Society.  It’s also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Posted Tuesday, November 10, 2015 Click any photo to view a larger image
© Schmit Bros. Automotive
A Family Tradition Since 1912 SCHMIT BROS. NEWS Dealership News & Information
Port Washington’s Fire House of 1929
In this edition of Discover Ozaukee County we are taking a look at Port Washington’s historic 1929 Fire House.  Jump into your car from Schmit Bros. and check out this historic building!
Back to main News page
Located at 102 East Pier Street, it was designed by Architect John Topzant from Milwaukee.  It was constructed in 1929 with an addition built in 1938. Port Washington's Mediterranean Revival Style Fire Engine House was built in 1929 on the site as the city’s previous fire house, a wooden multi- purpose building that had been built in 1884.  Architect John Topzant of Milwaukee designed the new building; he gave it tan brick walls, a Spanish tile roof, and copper gutters and downspouts.  A particularly outstanding feature of the building is the bell tower-like hose drying tower. When it was first built, the first story of the engine house housed a garage for fire engines, a meeting room for the firemen, a kitchen, bath and shower rooms, along with storage space.  The basement story contained additional garage space and a repair room.  Between 1929 and 1938, a matching addition was attached to the rear of the building that provided space for a first story office and a larger rear stairway. This building served as a Fire House until 1975 when a larger replacement Fire House was built just across Wisconsin Street.  Subsequently, the 1929 engine house was converted into a center for Port Washington's senior citizens.  Despite the change in use, the engine house is in largely original condition and most of the changes made to the exterior have been confined to alterations of the original garage door openings. The building has been recognized as a Historical Landmark.  In 2010 a plaque was erected by the Port Washington Fire Dept and the Wisconsin Historical Society.  It’s also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.